Blog at Sundance Creek in Midland, Texas

Our Blog

News & Events at Sundance Creek

View our blog below for the latest on what's happening around our community!

Sundance Creek Blog Feed

Return To Blog
Hot dogs wrapped in pastry puffs to look like mummies sitting on a white plate with a bowl of ketchup.



Halloween is a spooky, scary time. And while Halloween treats and themed appetizers are all fun and games, there are some truly dangerous foods out there you should avoid. Did you know if you don’t cook kidney beans all the way, they can be toxic? Or that green almonds are a no-no? Read on about these six deadly foods to avoid this Halloween.

Cherry Pits

Don’t let the bright red juicy fruit fool you – the pits on the inside contain hydrogen cyanide, a form of poison. As you gobble down that next handful of cherries, make sure you don’t ingest too many pits. You’d have to eat a lot of cherry pits to get sick, but it’s a good thing to be aware of. 

Hot Dogs

Okay, the hot dogs themselves are not dangerous – aside from the dangers of processed meat. It’s the shape of them that you have to watch out for. Hot dogs are the number one cause of choking-related injuries in children under three (as reported by John Hopkins Medicine), and overzealous adults probably aren’t far behind. Chew slowly, and savor those flavors.

Alfalfa Sprouts

These delicious sando toppings can be more harmful to your health than beneficial. Because they are raw and grown in a humid environment, they are particularly prone to bacteria growth. So be careful, Salmonella and E. coli are common with this microgreen. 


This bright, vibrant vegetable truly has a dark side. While the stem is used often in baking (Mmm, rhubarb pie), the leaves contain oxalic acid, which can be fatal if one consumes too much. In addition to causing uncomfortable symptoms, you can also develop kidney stones. Ouch.

Red Kidney Beans

It’s no secret that red kidney beans are super good for you. When cooked, these bites of magical fruit are rich in plant-based protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. If ingested in their raw or undercooked form, however, they carry a toxic variety of lectin, which can damage your gut wall and prevent the absorption of nutrients properly. Yuck.


Not only can shellfish absorb dangerous bacteria from the sea when undercooked, but it’s also one of the most common (and deadliest!) food allergies out there. Take caution before eating these under-the-sea creatures.

Enjoy a scary Halloween and stay safe out there! Check out Sundance Creek’s blog for more tips on living your best life.