Giving is easy during the holiday season. Whether it’s dropping a few dollars into the Salvation Army kettle or dropping a little something into the Toys for Tots bin at your favorite store, opportunities to donate are everywhere. But when the luster of the holiday season wears off, those in need still could use your help. Here are four ways to give back to your community throughout the year.
Volunteer Your Time
Charlotte is full of wonderful charities and organizations in need of a helping hand. Here are a few to check out:
- Second Harvest Food Bank – From helping in the warehouse to chipping in with distribution, here are a variety of ways to help keep this food bank running smoothly.
- Charlotte Rescue MisSecond Harvest Food Bank of Metrolinasion – You can help out at this organization’s various campuses by cooking or serving meals to those in need or even tutoring. Because of COVID-19, volunteer opportunities are limited at the moment.
- Classroom Central – This organization, which provides school supplies to students in need, recruits volunteers to help pack and distribute those supplies.
- Queen City Unity – Dedicated to driving equity and equality, this volunteer-driven Charlotte organization holds a variety of events throughout the year.
- Humane Society of Charlotte – Area animals need your help, too! Volunteer opportunities at The Humane Society range from cleanup and caretaking at the shelter to helping out with events.
- Friendship Trays – Friendship Trays delivers nutritious meals to elderly and infirmed individuals. Volunteers help make that mission a reality.
Short on time but have the financial bandwidth to donate funds to a worthy cause? Donating money is often as easy as clicking a button. Consider a recurring donation to a charity or organization dear to your heart. Or just give when you can. Looking for some ideas? Check out this list of Charlotte-area nonprofits.
The need for blood donations is high right now, making it a great way to give back. Here are a few places in Charlotte where you can donate:
Write a letter to a friend. Pay for a stranger’s coffee. Give someone a compliment. Spreading good vibes isn’t hard – and even the smallest gesture can go a long way toward brightening someone’s day.
Live Big in Charlotte
Looking for fun things to do in and around Charlotte? Check out The Palmer’s blog for everything from restaurants to visit to home decor tips.