Looking to add a dog or cat to your crew? Adopting a shelter pet is a big responsibility. Here are some things to know and places to go if you’re in the market for a new four-legged friend.
What to Know
It’s a Big Commitment
Remember, adopting a pet is a huge commitment. Depending on the age of the animal you choose, you’ll be looking after your furry friend for a decade or more. Trust us, owning a pet is beyond amazing, but do your due diligence before pulling the trigger. Are you ready for that kind of commitment? Make sure you take some time to think it over before making your decision.
Know the Costs
Owning a pet isn’t only a time commitment, but it’s a financial commitment as well. Keep that in mind. Research the average cost of routine care to get an idea of how much you’ll need to budget. Also, be sure to look into the cost of pet health insurance, which despite the monthly premiums, can be a great way to save on routine care and help offset the cost of major procedures.
Adoption comes with a number of benefits. Not only are you providing a pet with a forever home and potentially saving its life, but some of the pet’s early veterinary care has often already been administered. Think early shots, microchipping, and spay or neuter surgery. That saves you some big money. Plus, adoption fees at a shelter are almost certain to be much less than what breeders charge, saving you even more.
Where to Go In & Around Lantana
Ready to adopt? Here are some local shelters where you can find your forever friend.
- Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League, West Palm Beach
- Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control, West Palm Beach
- Animal Rescue Force of South Florida, West Palm Beach
- KitKats Rescue, Delray Beach
- Everglades Golden Retriever Rescue, Boynton Beach
- Tri-County Animal Rescue, Boca Raton
- Pet Haven Rescue, Royal Palm Beach
- Justin Bartlett Animal Rescue, Royal Palm Beach
- NAIA’s Pet Rescue, Pompano Beach
- Casa De Doggie Animal Rescue, Port St. Lucie
- Save a Pet Florida, Palm Beach County
Looking for More?
Stay in the know on all things Lantana, Florida, and beyond by staying tuned to the Oceanside Lantana blog.